1/26/2007

 

Mom's Hamburger Roll-Up with Creamy Pea & Carrot Sauce

I really don't cook all that often at home, but when I do, I've been told I'm pretty good. I've decided to post some favorite recipes now and then for a few reasons. Firstly, I can never find the one I'm looking for around the house: What book was it in? Where did that little scrap of paper I write it down in go? It'll be much easier to find them here. Second, I've been wanting to preserve some family recipes that I'm afraid will get lost in time if I don't save them somewhere - some have never even been written down!
It's hard to imagine that my mother came out of the gate as a good cook. She was a bit of a party gal back when, and the kitchen just doesn't seem like it would've been her favorite place to hang. However, she worked hard over the years to improve her skills, and despite a few famous mis-steps along the way (Creamed Asparagus on Toast, or as my dad called it, "Shit on a Shingle."), she has become a master, delighting the whole family with her ingenious culinary temptations.
Every now and then I'll get an insane craving for something she made years ago and that I haven't tasted forever. One of my favorites she made fairly frequently when I was growing up was her "Hamburger Roll Up", a recipe which she claims to have invented herself and up until now has never been in written form. It's simple and very tasty and should be served as a main dish with a side dish of cottage cheese and canned pears.
Mom's Hamburger Roll-Up with Creamy Pea Sauce
Ingredients: 1-1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 white or yellow onion
1 cup celery
box of Bisquick
1/2 cube butter
1 package frozen peas (or mixed peas & carrots if desired)
2 cups milk
1 egg white
flour
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
salt & pepper
Cut onion into small pieces. Chop celery width-wise, about 1/4 inch slices.
Cook ground beef with onion, celery, a little butter, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
When ground beef is cooked, do not drain - add a few tablespoons of flour to absorb grease and thicken the mixture. Set aside.
Prepare Bisquick according to directions on package, enough to flatten into an appox. 12"x12" square, 1/4" to 1/2" thick. Lay out dough on non-stick baking tray.
Fill center of dough square with the hamburger mixture and fold sides together to form roll. Lightly seal top and bottom of roll by pinching dough.
Coat top with egg white and cut slit in middle of roll to vent.
Follow exact busicuit baking heat and time from Bisquick box.
Sauce:
In saucepan, melt about 1/4 cube (3 tsp) butter and add flour until thickened. Slowly blend in milk and onion powder, salt and pepper to taste. Cook peas and carrots seperately, then add to cooked sauce.
Cut cooked hamburger roll into 1-2 inch slices and pour over sauce. Enjoy!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Archives